Baptistry of Pisa in Field of Miracles

35 vots
On a grassy lawn wedged into the northwest corner of the city walls, medieval Pisans created one of the most beautiful squares in the world. Historically dubbed the Campo dei Miracoli (Field of Miracles) , Piazza del Duomo contains an array of elegant buildings that heralded the Pisan Romanesque style.

But Piazza del Duomo isn’t the central plaza in town as in most Tuscan cities. When it was built between the 11th and 13th centuries, the square was against the city walls, surrounded by farmland. But this peripheral location also somehow plays a role in the piazza’s uniqueness. A very large but hidden part of its appeal, aside from the beauty of
the buildings, is its spatial geometry. The piazza’s medieval engineers knew what they were doing. If you take an aerial photo of the square and draw connect-the-dot lines between the centers, doors, and other focal points of the buildings and the spots where streets enter the piazza, you’ll come up with all sorts of perfect triangles, tangential lines of mathematical grace, and other unfathomable hypotenuses.

Incidentally, only the tourist industry calls it Campo dei Miracoli. Pisans think that’s just a bit too much and refer to it, as they always have, as Piazza del Duomo...

Italy’s biggest baptistery (104m/341 ft. in circumference) was begun in 1153 by Diotisalvi, who gave it its lower Romanesque drum. Nicola and Giovanni Pisano “Gothicized” the upper part from 1277 to 1297 and Cellino di Nese capped it with a Gothic dome in the 1300s. Most of the exterior statues and decorative elements by Giovanni Pisano are now kept in the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo (see below), and only a few have been replaced here with casts. It may not look it, but if you include the statue on top, this building is actually taller than the Leaning Tower across the square...

The other main attraction of the baptistery is its renowned acoustics.

It is citation from "Frommer’s Florence, Tuscany & Umbria" travel guide by John Moretti, 7th Edition, 2010, (page 288)
Continuar llegint +

Autor:

Andrew Varlamov
Membre Argent
Distingit

Latitud: 43° 43' 22" N, Longitud: 10° 23' 37" E veure »

Lloc: Pisa, Italy

Panoràmiques de Andrew Varlamov Argent

Tipus: País:
Mapa Llista

Valley of the Slavyanka river in winter

esfera
63 vots

The Temple to Friendship was built by Charles Cameron between 1780 and 1782 and was, in fact, the first edifice he constructed on arrival in Russia...

Campo Giovanni e Paolo Santissimi

esfera
50 vots

The West front’s huge unfinished brick façade of San Giovanni e Paolo contrasts with the elegance of the decorated façade of the adjoining Scuola...

East entrance into the Louvre Palace

esfera
50 vots

Standing under Perrault's Colonnade You can see Pavillon de l’Horloge (  www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavillon_de_l%E2%80%99Horloge ) and...

Mouth of the Pskova river

esfera
50 vots

Standing near High Tower (Vysokaya, other name - Voskresenskaya) on the right bank of the Pskova river You can see Flat Tower (Ploskaya) and  the...

Metro station ”Pushkinskaya”

esfera
42 vots

Pushkinskaya is a station on the Kirovsko-Vyborgskaya Line of the Saint-Petersburg Metro. It opened on December 30, 1956. A statue of poet...

Sretenskaya gate church of Boris and Gleb Monastery (1692)

esfera
41 vots

It is north entrance into Boris and Gleb Monastery. Color photography by Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky ( www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Prokudin-Gorsky...

Christmas Decorations for Tower of the City Duma

esfera
41 vots

Merry Christmas ! Happy New Year ! FELIZ NAVIDAD!

Place de la Concorde

esfera
40 vots

La place de la Concorde, avec 8,64 hectares, est la plus grande place de Paris.

Frozen lake near Izborsk

esfera
40 vots

Rehearsal in dance school ”Metamorphoses”

esfera
40 vots

The same classroom 3 years ago. Dance and mime school "Metamorphoses" was opened in 1991. The school joins together boys and girls of different...

Church of Santa Maria e San Donato

esfera
40 vots

The church is one of the oldest in the Venetian lagoon. It was originally built in the 7th century and is known to have been rebuilt in the 9th...

Open class in the Old Printing House

esfera
40 vots

The Old Printing House is located nearby the Neva Gate of the Peter and Paul Fortress. Today is Saturday and childern draw their ex-libris on...

Baptistry of Pisa in Field of Miracles

esfera
35 vots

On a grassy lawn wedged into the northwest corner of the city walls, medieval Pisans created one of the most beautiful squares in the world....

Nikolskaya gate church of Avraamiyev Epiphany Monastery

esfera
33 vots

The Avraamiyev Epiphany Monastery is one of the oldest in Russia (11th century). To reach it from the Kremlin of Rostov, drive in the direction of...

Pompean (Square) Hall of Mariinsky Palace

esfera
33 vots

Mariinsky Palace is an architectural monument of late Neoclassicism. It was constructed in 1839-1844 by architect A.I. Stakensсhneider for the...

Rehearsal in dance school ”Metamorphoses” - other view

esfera
32 vots

The same classroom 3 years ago. Dance and mime school "Metamorphoses" was opened in 1991. The school joins together boys and girls of different...

Staircase in the House of Artists (1st floor)

esfera
32 vots

The House of Artists was built by architect Abram Ilyich Lapirov at Pesochnaya Embankment, number 16 in 1961. Workshops of painters, illustrators...

pàgines: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >> >|
Veure tots els autors » Saber més de Andrew Varlamov »