Ura Kidane Mehret Church another side, Near Bahardar, Ethiopia.
The convent was founded in the 14th century by the saint Betre Mariyam (Amharic "Rod of Mary"), although the present circular church dates from the 16th century. Its wall are decorated with numerous murals painted between 100 and 250 years ago; subjects include Negus Tekle Haymanot of Gojjam and his followers. The most significant were painted by Alaqa Engida during the reign of Emperor Menelik II. The church has its treasury in a nearby outbuilding, which contains the richly embroidered robes of Negus Tekle Haymanot and his wife Laqetch Gegre Mehdin, as well as the crowns of Emperor Yohannes IV, Emperor Tewodros II, Negus Tekle Haymanot, and Emperor Tekle Giyorgis.
The fortress Bip (architect V. Brenna) was erected and the park Mariental was laid out on the Tyzva River in 1795-97.
Native Life, Dunes and Colours of Namibia
A storm coming from the north....
Not a bad place for a birthday party. Thanks Jan for playing the guitar.