Baptistry of Pisa in Field of Miracles

35 votes
On a grassy lawn wedged into the northwest corner of the city walls, medieval Pisans created one of the most beautiful squares in the world. Historically dubbed the Campo dei Miracoli (Field of Miracles) , Piazza del Duomo contains an array of elegant buildings that heralded the Pisan Romanesque style.

But Piazza del Duomo isn’t the central plaza in town as in most Tuscan cities. When it was built between the 11th and 13th centuries, the square was against the city walls, surrounded by farmland. But this peripheral location also somehow plays a role in the piazza’s uniqueness. A very large but hidden part of its appeal, aside from the beauty of
the buildings, is its spatial geometry. The piazza’s medieval engineers knew what they were doing. If you take an aerial photo of the square and draw connect-the-dot lines between the centers, doors, and other focal points of the buildings and the spots where streets enter the piazza, you’ll come up with all sorts of perfect triangles, tangential lines of mathematical grace, and other unfathomable hypotenuses.

Incidentally, only the tourist industry calls it Campo dei Miracoli. Pisans think that’s just a bit too much and refer to it, as they always have, as Piazza del Duomo...

Italy’s biggest baptistery (104m/341 ft. in circumference) was begun in 1153 by Diotisalvi, who gave it its lower Romanesque drum. Nicola and Giovanni Pisano “Gothicized” the upper part from 1277 to 1297 and Cellino di Nese capped it with a Gothic dome in the 1300s. Most of the exterior statues and decorative elements by Giovanni Pisano are now kept in the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo (see below), and only a few have been replaced here with casts. It may not look it, but if you include the statue on top, this building is actually taller than the Leaning Tower across the square...

The other main attraction of the baptistery is its renowned acoustics.

It is citation from "Frommer’s Florence, Tuscany & Umbria" travel guide by John Moretti, 7th Edition, 2010, (page 288)
Continue reading +

Auteur:

Andrew Varlamov
Distinguish Silver
Member

Latitude: 43° 43' 22" N, Longitude: 10° 23' 37" E see »

Localisation: Pisa, Italy

Panoramas by Andrew Varlamov Silver

Type: Country:
Map List

Valley of the Slavyanka river in winter

sphere
63 votes

The Temple to Friendship was built by Charles Cameron between 1780 and 1782 and was, in fact, the first edifice he constructed on arrival in Russia...

Campo Giovanni e Paolo Santissimi

sphere
50 votes

The West front’s huge unfinished brick façade of San Giovanni e Paolo contrasts with the elegance of the decorated façade of the adjoining Scuola...

East entrance into the Louvre Palace

sphere
50 votes

Standing under Perrault's Colonnade You can see Pavillon de l’Horloge (  www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavillon_de_l%E2%80%99Horloge ) and...

Mouth of the Pskova river

sphere
50 votes

Standing near High Tower (Vysokaya, other name - Voskresenskaya) on the right bank of the Pskova river You can see Flat Tower (Ploskaya) and  the...

Metro station ”Pushkinskaya”

sphere
42 votes

Pushkinskaya is a station on the Kirovsko-Vyborgskaya Line of the Saint-Petersburg Metro. It opened on December 30, 1956. A statue of poet...

Sretenskaya gate church of Boris and Gleb Monastery (1692)

sphere
41 votes

It is north entrance into Boris and Gleb Monastery. Color photography by Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky ( www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Prokudin-Gorsky...

Christmas Decorations for Tower of the City Duma

sphere
41 votes

Merry Christmas ! Happy New Year ! FELIZ NAVIDAD!

Colonne di San Lorenzo - 2

sphere
40 votes

Place de la Concorde

sphere
40 votes

La place de la Concorde, avec 8,64 hectares, est la plus grande place de Paris.

Frozen lake near Izborsk

sphere
40 votes

Rehearsal in dance school ”Metamorphoses”

sphere
40 votes

The same classroom 3 years ago. Dance and mime school "Metamorphoses" was opened in 1991. The school joins together boys and girls of different...

Church of Santa Maria e San Donato

sphere
40 votes

The church is one of the oldest in the Venetian lagoon. It was originally built in the 7th century and is known to have been rebuilt in the 9th...

Open class in the Old Printing House

sphere
40 votes

The Old Printing House is located nearby the Neva Gate of the Peter and Paul Fortress. Today is Saturday and childern draw their ex-libris on...

Baptistry of Pisa in Field of Miracles

sphere
35 votes

On a grassy lawn wedged into the northwest corner of the city walls, medieval Pisans created one of the most beautiful squares in the world....

Nikolskaya gate church of Avraamiyev Epiphany Monastery

sphere
33 votes

The Avraamiyev Epiphany Monastery is one of the oldest in Russia (11th century). To reach it from the Kremlin of Rostov, drive in the direction of...

Pompean (Square) Hall of Mariinsky Palace

sphere
33 votes

Mariinsky Palace is an architectural monument of late Neoclassicism. It was constructed in 1839-1844 by architect A.I. Stakensсhneider for the...

Rehearsal in dance school ”Metamorphoses” - other view

sphere
32 votes

The same classroom 3 years ago. Dance and mime school "Metamorphoses" was opened in 1991. The school joins together boys and girls of different...

Staircase in the House of Artists (1st floor)

sphere
32 votes

The House of Artists was built by architect Abram Ilyich Lapirov at Pesochnaya Embankment, number 16 in 1961. Workshops of painters, illustrators...

pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >> >|
Voir tous les auteurs » Find out more about Andrew Varlamov »