Acrocorinth, Greece

14 votes
Prise le 16/08/2009
Courses of roughly dressed polygonal masonry allow us to suppose that the Acrocorinth was fortified as early as the time of Kypselid tyranny (late 7th c.-early 8th c. BC). The surviving parts of the ancient fortifications, however, which are at many points beneath the medieval enceinte, belong mainly to the 4th c. BC. In 146 BC, Mummius ( ) destroyed the fortifications of the lower city and acropolis. The destroyed sections were subsequently reconstructed from the same ancient material in Late Roman times.

During the Middle Ages, the Acrocorinth was of prime importance for the defence of the entire Peloponnese, and held out against the attacks of the barbarians. The Byzantines sporadically repaired the walls, especially aftre hostile raids(by the Slavs, Normans and others) and added new fortifications on the west side of the fortress.

In 1240, after a five-year siege, the Acrocorinth was captured by Otto de la Roche ( ) and Geoffrey I Villehardouin ( ), and was incorporated in the Frankish principate of Achaea. In the middle of this century, William Villehardouin ( ) extended the fortifications of the fortress, to be followed in this by Angevin prince John Gravina ( ) at the beginning of the 14th c. In 1358 the Acrocorinth passed to the Florentine banker Niccolo Acciajuoli ( ), and in 1394 to Theodoros I Palaiologos ( ), despot of Mystras. Apart from a brief occupation by the Knights of Rhodes ( ) from 1400-1404, the fortress was to remain in Byzantine hands until 1458, when it was captured by the Ottoman Turks. The Venetians made themselves masters of the Acrocorinth from 1687 to 1715, after which it reverted once more to the Turks, until the Greek Uprising ( ) of 1821.

The approach to the fortress is from the west side. The walls have an irregular shape, which was dictated by the form of the terrain and remained the same in general terms from Classical period to modern times. Three successive zones of fortifications, with three imposing gateways, lead to the interior of the fortress. The fact that the same material was used for extensions or repairs to the walls frequently makes it difficult to distinguish the building phases or assign a date to them.

Within the third enclosure wall on the Acrocorinth are to be found monuments of all periods: at the highest point, the sanctuary of Aphrodite with an early Christian basilica on its ruins (not visible from here), the fountain of Ano Perien, Byzantine cisternes, the Frankish tower, a Venetian church, mosques, Turkish houses and fountains.

It is citation from tourist leaflet obtained at the entrance.

The easiest way to reach the Acrocorinth is to take taxi from modern Corinth (13 euros).
Continue reading +


Andrew Varlamov
Distinguish Silver

Latitude: 37° 53' 29" N, Longitude: 22° 52' 15" E see »

Localisation: Corinth, Greece

Panoramas by Andrew Varlamov Silver

Type: Country:
Map List

Metro station ”Chkalovskaya” (1997)

30 votes

Chkalovskaya is a station on the Frunzensko-Primorskaya Line ( ) of the Saint Petersburg...

San Miniato al Monte

43 votes

San Miniato al Monte (St. Minias on the Mountain) is a basilica in Florence ( ), central Italy, standing atop...

Samson travels along the Neva embankment

1 votes

The iconic sculpture of Samson pulling open the jaws of a lion that crowns the central cascade of fountains in the suburb of Peterhof returned to...

Monument to the Victims of Political Repressions (1995)

1 votes

Monument by Mikhail Shemyakin ( ) consists of 2 bronze Sphinxes and stylized prison window through which...

The Lungarno Amerigo Vespucci in Florence

3 votes

To the east is the Ponte alla Carraia ( ), and to the west is the Ponte Amerigo Vespucci (...

The Neva River embankment near Mining Institute (1806-1811)

21 votes

The Saint Petersburg State Mining Institute ( ) is housed in an Empire style building...

Via Ghibellina near the Bargello Palace

13 votes

Campanile of Badìa Fiorentina ( ) is visible at the end of Via Ghibellina.

Metro station ”Krestovsky island”

11 votes

"Krestovsky island" is a station on the Frunzensko-Primorskaya Line of the Saint-Petersburg Metro. It opened on September 3, 1999. The subjects of...

Sergiyevskaya gate church of Boris and Gleb Monastery (1679)

11 votes

It is south entrance into Boris and Gleb Monastery. Monochrome photography by Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky (...

The Saint Theodor Stratilat Gate Church in Alexandrov

2 votes

Color photography by Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky ( ) shot in 1911 You can see at...

Wall of the Monastery of Our Savior and Transfiguration in Yaroslavl

21 votes

During the history of the Monastery, numerous reconstructions changed the defensive buildings. The earliest stone walls and towers were erected in...

Alexandrov Kremlin in Winter

31 votes

The Alexandrov Kremlin was built in the 16th century by the order of Vasily III ( ), the father of Ivan the...

Sretenskaya gate church of Boris and Gleb Monastery (1692)

41 votes

It is north entrance into Boris and Gleb Monastery. Color photography by Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky (

Nikolskaya gate church of Avraamiyev Epiphany Monastery

33 votes

The Avraamiyev Epiphany Monastery is one of the oldest in Russia (11th century). To reach it from the Kremlin of Rostov, drive in the direction of...

View of Boris and Gleb Monastery near Rostov

32 votes

In 1363, with the blessing of St. Sergius of Radonezh ( ), the Novgorod monks Fyodor and Paul...

Belfry of Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross (1805-12) in Winter

12 votes

Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross is located at 128 Ligovsky Avenue. It was constructed in 1747-49 in the Baroque style by architect...

The Cathedral of St Martin in Lucca

26 votes

The Duomo is the town’s main monument, dating to 1060, although the present structure was mainly rebuilt during the following centuries. The facade...

Church of the Intercession in winter (2007)

4 votes

The Church of the Intercession is reconstructed replica of the church from Ankhimovo village near Vytegra (1708) (...

Whitestone gates in Neo-Russian style

11 votes

Feodorovsky Settlement is an architectural ensemble of the town of Pushkin ( ), to the north-west from the...

Edge of the park near the Gatchina Palace

2 votes

The Big Gatchina Palace was built in 1766-1781 in Gatchina town by Antonio Rinaldi ( ) project for Count...

pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >> >|
Voir tous les auteurs » Find out more about Andrew Varlamov »