Inside St. Anna’s Church, Liepaja

21 votes
St. Anna’s Church is the oldest in Liepāja, it was first mentioned in chronicles in 1508. The church was originally located in today’s Old Cemetery region, on the island that was formed in the estuary of the Liva River. Since 1587 the church stands at its present location, at Kursu Square, since then it has been reconstructed several times.

The altar of St. Anna’s Church is one of the greatest wood-carving masterpieces of Latvian Baroque period. It was made by Nikolay Sefrens, master of the Ventspils shipyard in 1697. The altar was commissioned as a present to the Church by Johans Planders and his wife.

The organ seen at the balustrade is the third largest in Latvia, surpassed only by the instrument at the Riga Dome and Church of the Holy Trinity in Liepāja.
Continue reading +
Plus d'information: http://virtual.liepaja.info

Latitude: 56° 30' 15" N, Longitude: 21° 0' 41" E see »

Localisation: Latvia

Laissez un commentaire:

[ * ] = informations obligatoires.
Nom: *
L'adresse e-mail est obligatoire, mais ne figurera pas sur le site.
Adresse E-mail: *
Votre page Web:
Votre commentaire: *