Interior of the Smolny Сathedral

0 vote
Fatta il 03/03/2009
The cathedral was built in 1748-57 as the Cathedral of Smolny Monastery (architect F. Rastrelli); its interior decoration started in 1762 (architect Y.M. Felten; was not completed). After the monastery was closed, all the construction work was halted, and the cathedral remained un-consecrated. In 1828, the church passed under the jurisdiction of Establishments of Empress Maria Fedorovna, and its interior decoration was done in 1832-35 by architect V.P. Stasov. The cathedral, which could accommodate 6,000 people, was eventually consecrated in 1835.

In 1923, the cathedral was closed down, its interior decoration was destroyed, and the building itself was used as a storehouse (the iconostasis was removed in 1972). Since 1974, the cathedral has been affiliated with the Museum of St. Petersburg history, and has been functioning as a concert and exhibition hall since 1990.

Wikipedia article is
Continue reading +


Andrew Varlamov
Distinguish Silver

Latitudine: 59° 56' 56" N, Longitudine: 30° 23' 43" E see »

Luogo: St Petersburg, Russian Federation

Panoramas by Andrew Varlamov Silver

Type: Country:
Map List

Old staircase in the park

3 votes

The place is not far from the Gatchina Palace.

Metro station ”Chkalovskaya” (1997)

30 votes

Chkalovskaya is a station on the Frunzensko-Primorskaya Line ( ) of the Saint Petersburg...

San Miniato al Monte

43 votes

San Miniato al Monte (St. Minias on the Mountain) is a basilica in Florence ( ), central Italy, standing atop...

Samson travels along the Neva embankment

1 votes

The iconic sculpture of Samson pulling open the jaws of a lion that crowns the central cascade of fountains in the suburb of Peterhof returned to...

Monument to the Victims of Political Repressions (1995)

1 votes

Monument by Mikhail Shemyakin ( ) consists of 2 bronze Sphinxes and stylized prison window through which...

The Lungarno Amerigo Vespucci in Florence

3 votes

To the east is the Ponte alla Carraia ( ), and to the west is the Ponte Amerigo Vespucci (...

The Neva River embankment near Mining Institute (1806-1811)

21 votes

The Saint Petersburg State Mining Institute ( ) is housed in an Empire style building...

Via Ghibellina near the Bargello Palace

13 votes

Campanile of Badìa Fiorentina ( ) is visible at the end of Via Ghibellina.

Metro station ”Krestovsky island”

11 votes

"Krestovsky island" is a station on the Frunzensko-Primorskaya Line of the Saint-Petersburg Metro. It opened on September 3, 1999. The subjects of...

Sergiyevskaya gate church of Boris and Gleb Monastery (1679)

11 votes

It is south entrance into Boris and Gleb Monastery. Monochrome photography by Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky (...

The Saint Theodor Stratilat Gate Church in Alexandrov

2 votes

Color photography by Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky ( ) shot in 1911 You can see at...

Wall of the Monastery of Our Savior and Transfiguration in Yaroslavl

21 votes

During the history of the Monastery, numerous reconstructions changed the defensive buildings. The earliest stone walls and towers were erected in...

Alexandrov Kremlin in Winter

31 votes

The Alexandrov Kremlin was built in the 16th century by the order of Vasily III ( ), the father of Ivan the...

Sretenskaya gate church of Boris and Gleb Monastery (1692)

41 votes

It is north entrance into Boris and Gleb Monastery. Color photography by Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky (

Nikolskaya gate church of Avraamiyev Epiphany Monastery

33 votes

The Avraamiyev Epiphany Monastery is one of the oldest in Russia (11th century). To reach it from the Kremlin of Rostov, drive in the direction of...

View of Boris and Gleb Monastery near Rostov

32 votes

In 1363, with the blessing of St. Sergius of Radonezh ( ), the Novgorod monks Fyodor and Paul...

Belfry of Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross (1805-12) in Winter

12 votes

Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross is located at 128 Ligovsky Avenue. It was constructed in 1747-49 in the Baroque style by architect...

The Cathedral of St Martin in Lucca

26 votes

The Duomo is the town’s main monument, dating to 1060, although the present structure was mainly rebuilt during the following centuries. The facade...

Church of the Intercession in winter (2007)

4 votes

The Church of the Intercession is reconstructed replica of the church from Ankhimovo village near Vytegra (1708) (...

Whitestone gates in Neo-Russian style

11 votes

Feodorovsky Settlement is an architectural ensemble of the town of Pushkin ( ), to the north-west from the...

pagine: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >> >|
View all the authors » Find out more about Andrew Varlamov »