House of Blackheads, Ratslaukums, Riga

10 votes
Melngalvju nams (The House of Blackheads), the impressive Gothic treasure of Riga, was first mentioned in 1334 as a building owned by the Great Guild and the place for public gatherings. In the 15th-century Blackheads – an organization of unmarried foreign merchants rented it and later, in 1713 became its owner. The name of the brotherhood comes from St. Mauritius – imagery African moor whom they chose to be their patron. Due to the high social position the brotherhood had their headquarters became the center of all sorts of cultural events to which even Russian tsars were invited. It was also used as a concert hall and was visited by such musicians as Wagner and List. As a German merchant club the Brotherhood of Blackheads existed in Riga until 1939. Destroyed in 1941, it was rebuilt in 2001.There is a museum and a concert hall in the building today.
Continue reading +

Autore:

Igor Dubakov

Latitudine: 56° 56' 50" N, Longitudine: 24° 6' 24" E see »

Luogo: Latvia

Panoramas by Igor Dubakov

Type:
Map List

House of Blackheads, Ratslaukums, Riga

sphere
10 votes

Melngalvju nams (The House of Blackheads), the impressive Gothic treasure of Riga, was first mentioned in 1334 as a building owned by the Great...

St. Peter's Church, Riga

sphere
30 votes

First mention of the St. Peter's Church is in records dating to 1209. The church was a masonry construction and therefore undamaged by a city fire...

LIDO Recreation Centre

sphere
1 votes

The LIDO Recreation Centre in Krasta street 76, Riga, was opened at the end of 1999. The LIDO Recreation Centre which has, in some respect, become...

Railway Bridge in Riga

sphere
1 votes

Information on the railway bridges over the river Daugava in Riga The first railway bridge over the river Daugava was opened on 1 January 1873...

1905 Monument Riga

sphere
10 votes

Very few Russian Monuments remained in Riga since USSR collapse. One of them located on the right embankment between Stone and Railway bridges. It...

View all the authors » Find out more about Igor Dubakov »