Oxburgh Hall Main Entrance
Oxburgh Hall was originally a 13th century fortified manor house, founded by the de Weyland family. In 1482, King Edward IV, granted Sir Edmund Bedingfeld a license to crenellate and he founded a brick quadrangular fortress, encased by a wide moat. Flanking the north range, is a magnificent unaltered three storey gatehouse, which is also flanked on the front angles by high octagonal towers. The hall was damaged during the Civil War and its two storey ranges were extensively rearranged and given Victorian Gothic decoration, in the 18th and 19th century.
Continue reading +