Autographs on the walls of ”Stray Dog” club

10 glos(y)(ów)
Data panografii 04.12.2008
Literary and artistic cabaret "STRAY DOG" (Brodyachaya Sobaka) was opened on 31 December 1911, in the vault of the second courtyard of the building at 5 Mikhailovskaya Street (today Iskusstv Square). It was established by writer A. N. Tolstoy, artists M. V. Dobuzhinsky, N. N. Sapunov, S. Y. Sudeykin, theatre worker N. N. Evreinov, architect I. A. Fomin among others. However, it was mostly organised and inspired by producer and actor B. K. Pronin (1875-1946). The name originates from the mock and romantic image of a lonely artist compared with a shelter less stray dog. Founding members of the Stray Dog tried to achieve one of the fundamental ideas of the beginning of the 20th centuries - synthesis in the arts (poetry, music, painting and theatre), to unite artists of new trends.

In 1915, Stray Dog was closed because of financial difficulties (read more at
http://www.encspb.ru/en/article.php?kod=2804016970 ).

There was no question of reviving The Stray Dog during the Soviet period, although it was used as a bomb shelter during the Leningrad blockade. However, in the more tolerant climate of perestroika, local artists began to talk of re-opening the place, with Andrei Moguchy and his Formal Theater giving several performances on the old premises, and artist Eduard Kochergin holding exhibitions there. Proper reconstruction of the place was finally finished in 2000, and at last The Stray Dog was officially opened in February, 2001 in the basement of the Mussorgsky Theater, where it was originally located.

"We don't want to turn it into a museum," says Vladimir Sklarsky, the director of The Stray Dog. "We realise that it's impossible to step in the same river twice. It's also impossible to revive the former atmosphere. Times have changed. What we want is to breath new life into the place and make a bridge across time."

The Stray Dog is comfortable and spacious, with its own exhibition hall, an area for theater performances and concerts and a small restaurant. The reconstruction was supervised by architect Jean Verzhebitsky, while Kochergin, who is well known for his work in the Maly Drama Theater, designed the interior. The perfomance area has an important feature, in that it is can be easily adapted to the needs of a jazz concert, performance or a lecture.

"The aim of The Stray Dog today," says Vladimir Sklyarsky, "is to mantain new contacts between artists, as there is much isolation nowadays. It may give rise to interesting new projects." (read more athttp://www.sptimes.ru/story/14993 )

This narrow passage connects two parts of restaurant. Its walls contain autographs of famous guests. The earliest drawing was made by Mikhail Shemyakin (7.VI.2000). There are few autographs of poets and novellists: Alexander Gorodnitskiy (05.04.003), Yevgeny Yevtushenko  (June 4, 2003), Chinghiz Aitmatov (27.12.06).
Continue reading +

Autor:

Andrew Varlamov
Distinguish Silver
Member

Szerokosc geograficzna: 59° 56' 13" N, Dlugosc geograficzna: 30° 19' 45" E see »

Lokalizacja: город Санкт-Петербург, Russian Federation

Panoramas by Andrew Varlamov Silver

Type: Country:
Map List

Christmas performance

sphere
21 glos(y)(ów)

Young actors of clown theatre Licedei ( www.licedei.com ) hold Christmas performance for pupils of English educational center of Helen Doron (...

Spit of Vasilievsky Island. View from the roof. North corner

sphere
13 glos(y)(ów)

The yellow tower of neo-Palladian Customs House ( www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pushkin_House ), built after Giovanni Luchini's designs in 1829-32, is...

St. John the Baptist Church in Winter

sphere
2 glos(y)(ów)

Without foliage old church looks alone. Autumn panoramas by Ivan Petrov are available at...

Christmas Decorations for Tower of the City Duma

sphere
41 glos(y)(ów)

Merry Christmas ! Happy New Year ! FELIZ NAVIDAD!

Portico in the garden of the Academy of Arts

sphere
2 glos(y)(ów)

6-column portico was built in 1819-21 by architect Andrey Alexeevich Mikhailov (Mikhailov II) as part of Drawing Building.

Photo vernissage in former Dutch Church

sphere
11 glos(y)(ów)

Dutch Reformed Church, located at 20 Nevsky Prospeсt. A monument of classicist architecture. It was erected in 1831-34 (architect P.P. Jacot). The...

Spit of Vasilievsky Island. View from the roof. East corner

sphere
11 glos(y)(ów)

Thomas de Thomon ( www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Fran%C3%A7ois_Thomas_de_Thomon ) was the author of Old Saint Petersburg Stock Exchange and...

The Petrovsky Hall - interior in baroque style

sphere
11 glos(y)(ów)

The Petrovsky Hall of the Twelve Collegiums Building ( www.virtual.aanet.ru/eng/enter/gu_zhist.htm ) (1722-1742) is the only 18-th century...

Countess Karlova's mansion at Fontanka River Embankment

sphere
1 glos(y)(ów)

Monumental fencing with entrance gates was built in 1830 by architect Vikentiy Ivanovich Beretti (...

Works for metro station ”Admiralteyskaya”

sphere
11 glos(y)(ów)

The station's existence has been controversial for decades. Although the need for the station was apparent to the Metro planners for over three...

”Georg Stage” moored on English Embankment

sphere
2 glos(y)(ów)

Saint-Petersburg hosts Tall Ships' Races Baltic 2009 and it is suitable time to visit training ship "Georg Stage" from Denmark.

Kindergarten graffiti

sphere
11 glos(y)(ów)

This graffiti was opened in May 22, 2009. 5 walls were used for the graffiti devoted 5 topics - Alphabet, Spectral colors, Decimal digits, Seasons...

Vernissage ”Calligraphy of Petersburg”

sphere
33 glos(y)(ów)

Art exhibition "Calligraphy of Petersburg" took place in May 2009. Works of famous local calligraphers Ilya Bogdesko,  Dmitry Petrovsky, Petr...

Early spring. Icebreakers near pier

sphere
3 glos(y)(ów)

Icebreakers "Semen Dezhnev" (built in 1971) and "Karu" (built in 1958) are near pier of English Embankment.

Watercolors by Marina Kuznetsova in ”Monmartr” gallery

sphere
13 glos(y)(ów)

Watercolors by Marina Kuznetsova were exhibited at "Monmartr" Gallery in April 2009 ( www.monmartr.spb.ru/marina-kyznezova.html).

Graffiti in front of house where pilot Valery Chkalov lived

sphere
21 glos(y)(ów)

Of course, graffiti appeared some months ago, but was doubtless inspired by the place.

Railway bridge across Obvodny Canal

sphere
10 glos(y)(ów)

This railway bridge was built in early 1900s.

Pompean (Square) Hall of Mariinsky Palace

sphere
33 glos(y)(ów)

Mariinsky Palace is an architectural monument of late Neoclassicism. It was constructed in 1839-1844 by architect A.I. Stakensсhneider for the...

Interior of the Smolny Сathedral

sphere

The cathedral was built in 1748-57 as the Cathedral of Smolny Monastery (architect F. Rastrelli); its interior decoration started in 1762...

strony: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Zobacz wszystkich autorów » Find out more about Andrew Varlamov »