Vasilievsky monastery in Winter

26 glos(y)(ów)
Data panografii 04.01.2009
Vasilievsky monastery was built in the 13th century as an outpost on the way to the Kideisha town. Legendary its foundation is connected with Validimir Krasnoe Solnyshko (Vladimir the Beautiful Sun) and the citizens’ marking with a cross where a church of oak used to be located. The monastery was founded in the 13th century. As an independent unit it existed till the times of Catherine II and later became a part of the Savior’s and St. Ephimius monastery.

Vasilievsky cathedral (1662-1669) was built on the place of a tabernacular wooden church. A Two-pillar construction  ( ), uncommon for Suzdal, is similar to Lazarev church but its interior is absolutely different. Its decoration is modest and ascetic: small porches and shallow crenels of the windows make it look like an ancient fortress. A three-storey bell tower erected in the 19th century is more festive: it is decorated with carved cornices and closely standing to each other pilasters.

There has remained a fence (some parts are dated back to the 17th century) with the low-rise Holy Gates in the monastery. The monastery is active although there is a part of the territory that doesn’t belong to it: there has remained a two-storey house of communal services near a wall.

Churches of Mikhali village are visible on the opposite bank of the Kamenka river - .

If You want to see Vasilievsky monastery in Summer please visit Russian web site created in 2007 by Ilya Koziorov.
Continue reading +


Andrew Varlamov
Distinguish Silver

Szerokosc geograficzna: 56° 25' 6" N, Dlugosc geograficzna: 40° 27' 37" E see »

Lokalizacja: Russian Federation

Panoramas by Andrew Varlamov Silver

Type: Country:
Map List

Boat is leaving marine

22 glos(y)(ów)

Boat is leaving marine to conduct training for annual regatta in honor of anniversary of Saint-Petersburg. 26th regatta named "Vesla na vodu" (Hold...

Bird's-eye view from belfry of St.Catherine Church - west corner

11 glos(y)(ów)

Petrovsky Stadium ( ) is visible behind Tuchkov Bridge ( ).

Bird's-eye view from belfry of St.Catherine Church - east corner

30 glos(y)(ów)

Stone church was founded in place of burned wooden church in October 1811 by project of architect Andrei Alekseevich Mikhailov (A.A.Mikhailov 2nd)....

Bird's-eye view from belfry of St.Catherine Church - south corner

11 glos(y)(ów)

Birzhevoy Bridge ( ), Saint Isaac's Cathedral ( ) and...

Bird's-eye view from belfry of St.Catherine Church - north corner

10 glos(y)(ów)

Tuchkov Bridge ( ) across Malaya Neva ( ) is visible from this corner.

Open class in the Old Printing House

40 glos(y)(ów)

The Old Printing House is located nearby the Neva Gate of the Peter and Paul Fortress. Today is Saturday and childern draw their ex-libris on...

Metro station ”Pushkinskaya”

42 glos(y)(ów)

Pushkinskaya is a station on the Kirovsko-Vyborgskaya Line of the Saint-Petersburg Metro. It opened on December 30, 1956. A statue of poet...

View of New Holland Island from the side of Kryukov canal

11 glos(y)(ów)

Founded by a decree of Peter the Great in 1721, New Holland, which has an area of over 7.6 hectares, was used for drying timber used in...

New Holland Arch (1765)

12 glos(y)(ów)

Cold weather and thick ice let us approach this artifical island in the heart of Saint-Petersburg. New Holland Island was created in 1720, when the...

Metro station ”Zvenigorodskaya”

11 glos(y)(ów)

Metro station "Zvenigorodskaya" opened on December, 20, 2008 as a part of the first starting complex of Frunzensko-Primorskaya Line (...

Metro station ”Sportivnaya”

14 glos(y)(ów)

The station was named "Sportivnaya" because of its close proximity to the Petrovskiy Stadium, the home stadium of the city's home football team and...

The Church of the Epiphany in Winter

20 glos(y)(ów)

It is one of the famous architectural and painting monuments of the 17th century in Yaroslavl. It was erected in 1684-1693 by order of and with...

Ipatiev Monastery in Winter

31 glos(y)(ów)

The Hypatian Monastery was founded around 1330 by a Tatar convert, Prince Chet, whose male-line descendants include Solomonia Saburova (...

Smolny Convent in Winter

23 glos(y)(ów)

The Smolny Convent was constructed at the behest of Empress Elizaveta Petrovna in 1748-1769 by architect Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli (...

The Tolstoy Square Multifunctional Complex

2 glos(y)(ów)

In terms of functional use, the Tolstoy Square project consists of several parts: a retailing area, where the Decor Center is situated; theatre,...

Christmas performance

21 glos(y)(ów)

Young actors of clown theatre Licedei ( ) hold Christmas performance for pupils of English educational center of Helen Doron (...

Spit of Vasilievsky Island. View from the roof. North corner

13 glos(y)(ów)

The yellow tower of neo-Palladian Customs House ( ), built after Giovanni Luchini's designs in 1829-32, is...

St. John the Baptist Church in Winter

2 glos(y)(ów)

Without foliage old church looks alone. Autumn panoramas by Ivan Petrov are available at...

Christmas Decorations for Tower of the City Duma

41 glos(y)(ów)

Merry Christmas ! Happy New Year ! FELIZ NAVIDAD!

Portico in the garden of the Academy of Arts

2 glos(y)(ów)

6-column portico was built in 1819-21 by architect Andrey Alexeevich Mikhailov (Mikhailov II) as part of Drawing Building.

strony: |< << 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >> >|
Zobacz wszystkich autorów » Find out more about Andrew Varlamov »