Rizopolozhensky monastery in Winter

2 glos(y)(ów)
Data panografii 03.01.2009
Rizpolozhensky nunnery established by a bishop John in 1207 stands on a hill of the city. At first, all the constructions in the monastery were wooden and the first stony cathedral – Rizpolozhensky cathedral – was erected only in the 16th century. You can seen the monastery from a far due to its bell tower – the highest construction in Suzdal from which a lot of pictures have been taken.

Rizpolozhensky cathedral (the middle of the 16th century) was admittedly built by Ivan Shigoney-Podzhoginji. A three-cupola cathedral with three apses is very uncommon for Suzdal architecture of that time. A low-rise but very beautiful and rich decorated church porch with tiled panels was built from the western side in 1688.

The cupolas were oil-shaped in the 19th century. The cathedral was given to a power electro station in 1929. Dome's cupolas were demolished and the interior was damaged badly because of propulsion system. It was restored in 1969 and the cupolas were again helmet-shaped. A warehouse of cultural items was located in the cathedral after its restoration. Today, it belongs to the nunnery.

Holy Gates (1688) is one of the most striking masterpieces of Suzdal architecture. Festive two-tented entry gates are decorated with boasted work and ceramic tiles. The arches are all different. The right one is an entry one, big and almost round. The left arch is smaller and decorated with fine rustication. Splendid tents over the gates are suspended by low-rise eight-sided base with tine windows and decorated with blind dormer windows and topped with small cupolas. There was established a rabbit-warren in the building of the Holy Gates in the 1930s. Then it was used as fuel storage. The Holy Gates were restored just in 1964.

The highest building of Suzdal city was erected in the nunnery on the funds of citizens in honor of the victory over Napoleon in 1813. It is a 72-meter-high Reverence bell tower. Its stepped composition is common for those times and consists of tailing away levels that rest on the lower part of the building – a stable classical-type doorway. There were 12 bells on the bell tower. All of them were remelted in 1931. Today there are new bells on the bell tower.

The nunnery is active and there is also Rizopolozhenskaya hotel established in the Soviet times.

To see Rizopolozhensky monastery in summer please visit Ruusian web sitehttp://www.suzdal360.ru/risopol.html created in 2007 by Ilya Koziorov.
Continue reading +

Autor:

Andrew Varlamov
Distinguish Silver
Member

Szerokosc geograficzna: 56° 25' 24" N, Dlugosc geograficzna: 40° 26' 47" E see »

Lokalizacja: Russian Federation

Panoramas by Andrew Varlamov Silver

Type: Country:
Map List

Valley of the Slavyanka river in winter

sphere
63 glos(y)(ów)

The Temple to Friendship was built by Charles Cameron between 1780 and 1782 and was, in fact, the first edifice he constructed on arrival in Russia...

Campo Giovanni e Paolo Santissimi

sphere
50 glos(y)(ów)

The West front’s huge unfinished brick façade of San Giovanni e Paolo contrasts with the elegance of the decorated façade of the adjoining Scuola...

East entrance into the Louvre Palace

sphere
50 glos(y)(ów)

Standing under Perrault's Colonnade You can see Pavillon de l’Horloge (  www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavillon_de_l%E2%80%99Horloge ) and...

Mouth of the Pskova river

sphere
50 glos(y)(ów)

Standing near High Tower (Vysokaya, other name - Voskresenskaya) on the right bank of the Pskova river You can see Flat Tower (Ploskaya) and  the...

Metro station ”Pushkinskaya”

sphere
42 glos(y)(ów)

Pushkinskaya is a station on the Kirovsko-Vyborgskaya Line of the Saint-Petersburg Metro. It opened on December 30, 1956. A statue of poet...

Sretenskaya gate church of Boris and Gleb Monastery (1692)

sphere
41 glos(y)(ów)

It is north entrance into Boris and Gleb Monastery. Color photography by Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky ( www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Prokudin-Gorsky...

Christmas Decorations for Tower of the City Duma

sphere
41 glos(y)(ów)

Merry Christmas ! Happy New Year ! FELIZ NAVIDAD!

Colonne di San Lorenzo - 2

sphere
40 glos(y)(ów)

Place de la Concorde

sphere
40 glos(y)(ów)

La place de la Concorde, avec 8,64 hectares, est la plus grande place de Paris.

Frozen lake near Izborsk

sphere
40 glos(y)(ów)

Rehearsal in dance school ”Metamorphoses”

sphere
40 glos(y)(ów)

The same classroom 3 years ago. Dance and mime school "Metamorphoses" was opened in 1991. The school joins together boys and girls of different...

Church of Santa Maria e San Donato

sphere
40 glos(y)(ów)

The church is one of the oldest in the Venetian lagoon. It was originally built in the 7th century and is known to have been rebuilt in the 9th...

Open class in the Old Printing House

sphere
40 glos(y)(ów)

The Old Printing House is located nearby the Neva Gate of the Peter and Paul Fortress. Today is Saturday and childern draw their ex-libris on...

Baptistry of Pisa in Field of Miracles

sphere
35 glos(y)(ów)

On a grassy lawn wedged into the northwest corner of the city walls, medieval Pisans created one of the most beautiful squares in the world....

Nikolskaya gate church of Avraamiyev Epiphany Monastery

sphere
33 glos(y)(ów)

The Avraamiyev Epiphany Monastery is one of the oldest in Russia (11th century). To reach it from the Kremlin of Rostov, drive in the direction of...

Pompean (Square) Hall of Mariinsky Palace

sphere
33 glos(y)(ów)

Mariinsky Palace is an architectural monument of late Neoclassicism. It was constructed in 1839-1844 by architect A.I. Stakensсhneider for the...

Rehearsal in dance school ”Metamorphoses” - other view

sphere
32 glos(y)(ów)

The same classroom 3 years ago. Dance and mime school "Metamorphoses" was opened in 1991. The school joins together boys and girls of different...

Staircase in the House of Artists (1st floor)

sphere
32 glos(y)(ów)

The House of Artists was built by architect Abram Ilyich Lapirov at Pesochnaya Embankment, number 16 in 1961. Workshops of painters, illustrators...

strony: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >> >|
Zobacz wszystkich autorów » Find out more about Andrew Varlamov »