Rizopolozhensky monastery in Winter

2 glos(y)(ów)
Data panografii 03.01.2009
Rizpolozhensky nunnery established by a bishop John in 1207 stands on a hill of the city. At first, all the constructions in the monastery were wooden and the first stony cathedral – Rizpolozhensky cathedral – was erected only in the 16th century. You can seen the monastery from a far due to its bell tower – the highest construction in Suzdal from which a lot of pictures have been taken.

Rizpolozhensky cathedral (the middle of the 16th century) was admittedly built by Ivan Shigoney-Podzhoginji. A three-cupola cathedral with three apses is very uncommon for Suzdal architecture of that time. A low-rise but very beautiful and rich decorated church porch with tiled panels was built from the western side in 1688.

The cupolas were oil-shaped in the 19th century. The cathedral was given to a power electro station in 1929. Dome's cupolas were demolished and the interior was damaged badly because of propulsion system. It was restored in 1969 and the cupolas were again helmet-shaped. A warehouse of cultural items was located in the cathedral after its restoration. Today, it belongs to the nunnery.

Holy Gates (1688) is one of the most striking masterpieces of Suzdal architecture. Festive two-tented entry gates are decorated with boasted work and ceramic tiles. The arches are all different. The right one is an entry one, big and almost round. The left arch is smaller and decorated with fine rustication. Splendid tents over the gates are suspended by low-rise eight-sided base with tine windows and decorated with blind dormer windows and topped with small cupolas. There was established a rabbit-warren in the building of the Holy Gates in the 1930s. Then it was used as fuel storage. The Holy Gates were restored just in 1964.

The highest building of Suzdal city was erected in the nunnery on the funds of citizens in honor of the victory over Napoleon in 1813. It is a 72-meter-high Reverence bell tower. Its stepped composition is common for those times and consists of tailing away levels that rest on the lower part of the building – a stable classical-type doorway. There were 12 bells on the bell tower. All of them were remelted in 1931. Today there are new bells on the bell tower.

The nunnery is active and there is also Rizopolozhenskaya hotel established in the Soviet times.

To see Rizopolozhensky monastery in summer please visit Ruusian web sitehttp://www.suzdal360.ru/risopol.html created in 2007 by Ilya Koziorov.
Continue reading +

Autor:

Andrew Varlamov
Distinguish Silver
Member

Szerokosc geograficzna: 56° 25' 24" N, Dlugosc geograficzna: 40° 26' 47" E see »

Lokalizacja: Russian Federation

Panoramas by Andrew Varlamov Silver

Type: Country:
Map List

Saint-Petersburg hosts Tall Ships' Races Baltic 2009

sphere
2 glos(y)(ów)

St. Petersburg is playing host to the Tall Ships’ Races for the second time in the competition’s history. The city first received the contest in...

Kindergarten graffiti

sphere
11 glos(y)(ów)

This graffiti was opened in May 22, 2009. 5 walls were used for the graffiti devoted 5 topics - Alphabet, Spectral colors, Decimal digits, Seasons...

Vernissage ”Calligraphy of Petersburg”

sphere
33 glos(y)(ów)

Art exhibition "Calligraphy of Petersburg" took place in May 2009. Works of famous local calligraphers Ilya Bogdesko,  Dmitry Petrovsky, Petr...

Muruzi house

sphere
3 glos(y)(ów)

Muruzi House, an architectural monument, five-storied apartment house, constructed in 1874-1877 (architect A.K. Serebryakov with the assistance of...

Inside Naryshkin bastion of St. Peter and Paul Fortress

sphere
11 glos(y)(ów)

The project plan of the fortress was outlined by Tsar Peter the Great. The first design projects of the fortress were carried out in 1703 by Saxon...

Early spring. Icebreakers near pier

sphere
3 glos(y)(ów)

Icebreakers "Semen Dezhnev" (built in 1971) and "Karu" (built in 1958) are near pier of English Embankment.

Watercolors by Marina Kuznetsova in ”Monmartr” gallery

sphere
13 glos(y)(ów)

Watercolors by Marina Kuznetsova were exhibited at "Monmartr" Gallery in April 2009 ( www.monmartr.spb.ru/marina-kyznezova.html).

Graffiti in front of house where pilot Valery Chkalov lived

sphere
21 glos(y)(ów)

Of course, graffiti appeared some months ago, but was doubtless inspired by the place.

Railway bridge across Obvodny Canal

sphere
10 glos(y)(ów)

This railway bridge was built in early 1900s.

Budva beach graffiti

sphere
11 glos(y)(ów)

Usually graffity reflects reality more ideal and with clear sky. Helicopters in the sky puts out forest fire on the mountain top.

Pompean (Square) Hall of Mariinsky Palace

sphere
33 glos(y)(ów)

Mariinsky Palace is an architectural monument of late Neoclassicism. It was constructed in 1839-1844 by architect A.I. Stakensсhneider for the...

Interior of the Smolny Сathedral

sphere

The cathedral was built in 1748-57 as the Cathedral of Smolny Monastery (architect F. Rastrelli); its interior decoration started in 1762...

Bankovsky Bridge

sphere
3 glos(y)(ów)

Bankovsky Bridge, spanning Griboedov Canal, by the building of the former Assignation Bank (hence the name). Built in 1825-26 (engineer V.K....

Griboyedova Canal near Nevsky Prospect

sphere
3 glos(y)(ów)

The seven-storied building with a high corner tower crowned with a glass sphere is a shining example of art nouveau architecture (1902-04,...

Finding place to play football for Andrei Arshavin

sphere
22 glos(y)(ów)

When the panorama was shooting, transfer of Andrei Arshavin ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Arshavin ) to Arsenal from Zenit St. Petersburg...

Foyer of the Hermitage Theatre

sphere
13 glos(y)(ów)

Now foyer of the Hermitage Theatre is occupied by exhibition entitled "We draw in the Hermitage". Read more at...

Assembly of the World Club of Petersburgers at the Hermitage Theatre

sphere
2 glos(y)(ów)

The World Club of Petersburgers celebrates its 18th birthday. The Club's President and State Hermitage Director Mikhail Piotrovsky (...

Rizopolozhensky monastery in Winter

sphere
2 glos(y)(ów)

Rizpolozhensky nunnery established by a bishop John in 1207 stands on a hill of the city. At first, all the constructions in the monastery were...

Pokrovsky monastery in Winter

sphere
32 glos(y)(ów)

The Protection (Pokrovsky - in Russian) monastery was established in 1364 on a low bank of the Kamenka River. Its first walls were wooden. There...

strony: |< << 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Zobacz wszystkich autorów » Find out more about Andrew Varlamov »